Degree Requirements - Doctor of Philosophy in Meteorology
90 graduate credit hours required, subject to the following:
Successful Completion of the SoM Coursework Requirement as described in the SoM Ph. D. Advisory Conference Policy Document
Transfer Credits from M.S. Degree
- Up to 44 credit hours may be approved for transfer from a master's degree.
- Only 4 Thesis Research (5980) credits can be transferred from a M.S. Meteorology degree (the number required for the degree)
Enrollment in METR 6980, Research for Doctor's Dissertation
- Maintain continuous enrollment of at least 2 hours of Dissertation Research Hours (6980) each semester (excluding summer sessions) until the doctoral degree is completed. Enrollment in the Summer Session is required only if (1) the degree is conferred in the summer session, or (2) work is being done on the dissertation.
Other Required Coursework
- 1 hour of METR 6970, Seminar. (may be repeated for up to 4 credit hours)
S/U Graded Coursework Restrictions
- No more than one-half of the credits for OU coursework for a doctoral degree, excluding research for the dissertation (6980), may be S/U-graded coursework; and no more than one-half of the overall coursework (OU credit and transfer credit, combined), excluding credits for 6980, may be S/U-graded coursework.
Ph. D. Exams
- The School of Meteorology's General Exam.
- Dissertation defense.